What We Offer - Occupational Therapy Colchester
What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupations are the familiar and meaningful activities that people do every day. Pediatric occupational therapy (OT) helps children learn skills and participate in activities for successful, independent daily living. OT at Advanced Therapy Solutions makes it possible for children, adolescents and young adults with injuries, physical challenges or developmental disabilities to engage in normal daily life to the greatest extent possible. OT’s address skills such as fine motor development, sensory processing, motor planning, eye hand coordination and visual motor skills to name a few! During occupational therapy sessions, treatment is child guided and our therapists focus on creating the ‘just right challenge’ for your child. These challenges foster growth and development within your child, while maintaining excitement and motivation.
What Occupational Therapy Colchester Offers
For children, OT focuses on developing specific life skills. Through specific exercises and task-related activities, occupational therapists help your child learn or regain these critical skills. When skill and strength cannot be developed or improved, we work with your child and family in developing creative alternatives to achieve goals.
Duties of an Occupational Therapist:
The Occupational Therapist assesses how behavior and sensorimotor development affect your child’s ability to learn. With the younger child, the occupational therapist is interested in their activity level, tolerance of stimulation, feeding and hand function. In the older child, the ability to organize sensory information (touch, movement, vision…) is related to perceptual skills, hand skills and activity level. The occupational therapist assesses these and their affect on behavior, self-care activities and fine motor development.
Our Occupational Therapists work with our Colchester clients with physical therapists and other specialists to create a customized program which addresses your child’s unique needs. The therapy process includes an initial evaluation, during which we assess your child’s current level of function. After the evaluation, the occupational therapist will create a treatment plan that may include:
- Handwriting (visual-motor skills, awkward grip style)
- Touch, sound, movement, and smell sensitivities that often result in:
- Difficulty with bath time, hair brushing/cutting
- Strong clothing preferences
- Avoidance of natural movement experiences on the playground
- Distractibility and difficulty paying attention
- Strong food preferences
- Avoidance of certain environments (public bathrooms, auditoriums, gymnasiums, etc.)
- Emotional lability
- Aggression towards self and others
- Withdrawal from everyday experiences
- Attention, focus, organization, time management
- Clumsiness and poor coordination
- Eating and feeding- SOS and sensory-motor feeding approaches
- Dressing, shoe tying, zippering, buttoning, etc.
- Bike riding training
- Age appropriate play skills with peers and/or siblings
Advanced Therapy Solutions provides the highest quality of Occupational Therapists in the and Speech Language Therapy for children and youth with special healthcare needs that often require a multitude of therapies to help them overcome their developmental limitations in the Colchester area.
Advanced Therapy Solutions, LLC
Advanced Therapy Solutions, LLC
936 Silas Deane Highway
Wethersfield CT, 06109